Just when I had discovered the pleasures of an Emirates Airlines direct flight from New York’s JFK airport to Hamburg’s Fuhlsbuettel airport without any 6-hour layovers in Amsterdam or 13 hours in London (long story), Emirates Airlines announces that they’re going to cancel the flight again.
How could I ever travel to Germany again without:
- the harmonious color scheme of the plane’s interior
- the sizable airbus
- the modelesque multi-national crew
- having two seats to myself (in the front row with enough legroom that strangers would come into my row to look out of the window!)
- socks, toothbrush, eye patch etc. in a canvas bag like in the olden days of luxurious trans-Atlantic flights (you remember, pre-9/11)
- 50 or more digital movies, TV shows, games on individual screens (ok, at least KLM and AirFrance offer that)
- watching the entire flight unfold via a camera in the front of the plane and one beneath the plane viewed on your individual screen (What? you ask. I know!)
- delicious Vegetarian meals (I would have ordered seconds if I had been able to finish all the food in the first place)
- massage chairs as the standard seat in business class (or was it just 1st?)
- paying $400 for a round trip
- and last but not least: an 8 hour sunset as we were flying west
So please, Emirates Airlines, don’t go. I know there are rumors of Lufthansa taking over that flight. But the last time I flew with them we circled over JFK for an additional hour after a 9-hour flight and then were stuck on the ground inside the airplane for another 3 hours. On Valentine’s Day.